Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Farther Up the Valley



February 3.

We are in a ger, isolated in a far corner of the valley. At the mic is a teenage gal who has one of the sweetest, purest voices. She normally performs at the cultural center in the nearby town, Tsagaan Nuur. Today, she launches into a long song. It is about a rider who rides his horse through a big valley... it's windy, the mane of the horse blows, in the really big, spongy-soil valley. Afterwards, people start to use tractors. Then people who sell goods drive trucks in the valley and get stuck in the namag (spongy soil), and sing about the really big valley... everyone is stuck there.

Her father also sings for us that evening. While he was singing at first, the mic picked up the most curious gurgling sound. Turns out it was a big blue vat in which the family 
was making yogurt, and it was seeping out... 

2 comments:

Cameron L. Martindell said...

Yea! Another update! I was getting cold sitting out in the snow! But this warms me all back up!

Unknown said...

HI. I have read an article about you traveled in Khovsgol Mongolia. I'm from Moron, Khovsgol. So this article is interesting and really belongs to me. And I liked it so much. I like music, too. I used to sing Darkhad songs in my high school. If that CD got ready I would like to buy one. I will appreciate if you send me links which i can hear those song in. Reply with info about where I can buy that CD, please. Thank you