Saturday, March 15, 2008

Along the Jargalan River

February 2.
The Jargalan River takes a lazy course across part of the Darhad Valley. All along there are places where families camp during the winter. We are at the home of one such family.
7:30 a.m. - There is something very comforting about the sound of milk tea being made in the morning. The rhythmic stirring is almost poetic. I have heard it every morning in the countryside. There are other sounds of the morning... an a.m. radio, electric razor on the man, a child's voice. And someone was up at 4:30 am to stoke the fire. 
10:30 a.m. - Brilliant move on Mishig's part. He told us we should hike to the top of the hill behind the house (while waiting for singers to arrive). As we ascended, I was immediately reminded that we are at altitude (over 5,000 feet). This was the first time I broke a sweat on the trip, other than each morning as I struggled to stuff my sleeping bag into its XL stuff sack (it barely fit). The hike was wonderful and refreshing. It also gave a glimpse of the beautiful valley.
I learned that February 2nd is Sukhbaatar's birthday. He was a Soviet hero. Mongolians used to celebrate birthdays of all the Soviet heroes, but no longer do. Many adults remember the tradition, however.

No comments: