In February '08, I visited the same ger while out recording -- but the ger was in a completely different location (the winter camp). This was a rather special visit for me, and it brought home just what a small world this really is. How was I to know in September that I would ever see any of these wonderful people again? I do know I was incredibly grateful to have brought along pictures taken last year to give to the people in the photographs.
They were thrilled to have the pictures. "Everyone takes pictures. No one ever gives us copies," said this couple. Well, almost no one. I was glad to be different from most travelers in that regard. Because I was distributing photos, people were more than willing to pose for more pictures.
I did learn that pictures are important to the Mongolians. They love to have pictures of themselves and their families. As we continued the journey, each recording session also became a family portrait session as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment