"Ger gets almost as cold as outside in winter inside." Badmaa was telling me I'd need a sleeping bag rated to -40. I've been in a ger during winter, and when the fire is burning, it's toasty warm inside. But when everyone's snoozing and the fire cools down, well, that's when the good sleeping bag becomes vital.
I decided to call Cam, who worked at the South Pole research station, to check whether my clothing layering system sounded about right. The funny part was, Cam said to pay attention to the feet - wear good boots, and don't cinch the top so tight that it cuts off circulation. And be ready to adjust whenever your level of activity changes. That, and if you get too hot, take your hat off. (I somehow suspect that won't be a problem!) Cam also had rave reviews for the Buff - kind of a continuous stretchy bandana to wear around the neck and face.
I'm 5 days away from departing for Mongolia! Knowing I'll be prepared to stay warm puts my mind at ease. That way, when I'm out with Badmaa, Mishig, Bataa, and Magi recording music in the Darhad Valley, the temperature won't be too much of a distraction!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You are inspired and inspiring! Go for it!
Yes... pay good attention to your feet. I'm keen to hear how this double sleeping bag system works!
Great post!
I've done winter snow camping and the double bag works great. Down bag inside other bag, sleep naked w/ wool socks. Ummm toasty. Looking forward to you adventures,
jj
Sounds like one thing off your "Bucket List".
Post a Comment