Thursday, February 28, 2008

Renchinlhumbe

January 30.

As we draw near to the town of Renchinlhumbe, I begin to recognize certain mountains and stands of trees from the horseback trek last fall. It feels oddly comforting. We pull in to Mishig's yard, and I have the vague sensation of coming home. True, it is his home. But I still marvel at how my four traveling companions seem to accept me in their midst. As the only foreigner, this kinship is really cool.

In the yard, I immediately recognize the big white truck in which I spent 15 bouncy hours some 4 months ago. The ger where my dad and step-brother stayed last fall is also in this yard, locked and cold. We will stay in Mishig's house - it has two ample rooms.


We spend the afternoon recording at the local high school. It is marvelous to see the kids so poised and also all dressed up to perform. But here, at this school, I also take time to thank the music teacher for what he is doing. I make the point that you never know the impact your students will have; their performance last fall helped to inspire this recording project!  

No comments: