Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Deel: Double-takes and Grins


En route to Murun, January 25th. Since they weigh ALL pieces of luggage here, including carry-ons, Badmaa, Bataa and I decided to wear the heavy clothes, including our deels (pronounced "dells"). (Deel, as I've mentioned, is a traditional Mongolian outer garment, in winter often made with quilted fabric or wool fleece. It buttons under the arm and is cinched at the waist with a sash or belt.)

When the three of us walk together, this draws no unusual attention, until people look at the faces, or catch a glimpse of my lighter hair from under the big furry hat. Bataa grins with his whole being when he sees me put my passport in the deel, in the "pocket" formed above the sash. While we are waiting in the airport in UB, several people walk up to us, give me a "thumbs up," and explain to Badmaa how good it is to see a foreigner dressed like that.

What a fun way to break the ice, so to speak.

I have too many layers on to be inside. I am warm, and trying not to exert too much energy.

On the flight, I am the only American. Actually on this full flight, everyone else is Mongolian. A hint of the weeks to come...

1 comment:

ZOLBIN HARKHUU said...

Hello Dear Meggen,

I really thankful for your everything. Good luck .
u are so great human being . i am so proud of you